Monday, August 30, 2010

The Wasabi Challenge!

So the other day i decided to see how gullible my children were....

On Thursdays when John works in Knoxville he often will stop by the super Kroger on his way home and get me some fresh California rolls. They always give you a big glop of wasabi on the end, which i never use as i am a weeny when it comes to spicy things, and spicy is an extreme understatement when it comes to wasabi (well in my opinion anyway)!

As per Wikipedia for those that may not actually know what this is:
[The burning sensations it can induce are short-lived compared to the effects of chili peppers, especially when water is used to remove the spicy flavor. The sensation is felt primarily in the nasal passage and can be quite painful, though it generally only lasts a few seconds.]

So I presented the wasabi challenge to my children, which was if they ate a large pea sized amount of wasabi i would give them a quarter (25 cents) each. Well they thought that was a great idea ( i later told them i wouldn't have done it for even $10) so they took it in turns and Eden went first. She was the bravest by far and acted like nothing had happened until i told her she could get a drink of milk after which she franticly grabbed the milk jug from the fridge and scrambled to get a cup! Immanuel went next and then even Sarah braved the challenge. It was fun and even though i think they cried a bit, they were glad they did it and received their quarters with smiling faces.

I guess these are the kinds of things that mom's do for entertainment (or maybe just the twisted me)...maybe i should get out more! ;-) lol!



This is how much i had them eat if they wanted the quarter.



Sarah gulping down the milk...


Fanning her mouth...not sure that actually works though.



3 comments:

Schutzenegger said...

Heh, don't let CPS see these pictures!
I love Cayenne pepper. I like to put enough on food to give it a little zing, but not enough to destroy the taste of whatever it is I'm eating

Unknown said...

I now need to go to Kroger and get a CA roll fix. MInus wasabi for me too.

Kelly McMahon said...

These pics are great! I can't believe they actually tried it, guess kids will do anything for a quarter. So I am finally blogging again and have time to read blogs so now I'm catching myself up on everyone. Love reading your stories. Hope you are all enjoying the last weekend of summer. Have a great Labor Day. Miss you.