Saturday, February 12, 2011

Yeah, I Did It, I Did It! (Being a Big Boy is So Liberating!)

The other day i thought to myself, "ya know, Jack really should be trying to dress himself by now."  We've been working on him doing his own shoes and coat (velcro shoes of course) and he's been doing well so far.  But on this morning i decided to see if he was ready for the full monty.

I had to help set up his clothes laid out on the floor so that he knew which way to start putting them on, but slowly bit by bit, he put each article of clothing on.  It made me laugh so hard when he kept trying to put his arms and feet in his shirt at first, but he eventually understood what i was saying in that the shirt had nothing to do with the feet.  The fun part for me was that he was as giddy as a little kid on Christmas morning.  In fact for Jack i do believe he was more giddy about this than he was about Christmas. Grinning from ear to ear with each thing he put on he exclaimed, "I did it, i did it!"

Socks were another story and i definitely had to help get them halfway on his feet before he could do the rest, but still he was completely satisfied and proud of himself.

I love the simple pleasures in life.  Normally for me teaching my kids to do something for themselves proves to be a bit of a fight as they get frustrated when they aren't as able as they think they should be.  But for Jack it was pure joy.  After he had finished every thing he did a victory dance and was literally screaming, "YEAH I DID IT, I DID IT," while dancing across the room. What a fun experience for us both!  ;-)













No comments: