Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Two Day Camping Trip......In Our Living Room....

Six months ago in October we came out the Nashville area to search for a place to live.  John had been hired by LDS Family Services and they wanted us to be located in the Nashville area.  They had acquired an office for him the Madison Stake Center and so we knew we would be looking in that area.  After many searches from our Craig's List list we took a pause in our hunting and accepted the offer of the Stake President's wife, Kay Abernathy, to come and visit with them.  It happened to be the weekend of the Semiannual General Conference the LDS Church does in October and April.  We went house hunting that weekend because it gave us a weekend without John's church responsibilities as there is not regular church on General Conference weekend.  Just for those that do not know, General Conference is a two day conference on Saturday and Sunday with two, two hour sessions separated by a two hour block where member's of the church (and anyone else that may want to listen too) get to listen to and watch the leaders of the LDS church speak about topics that Heavenly Father has inspired them to speak on.  It is fabulous and very uplifting.

Anyway, back to my story......So we went to the Abernathy's house and they introduced us to their family tradition of making Conference weekend as fun as possible for their family by allowing fun treats, a free for all if you will, and a tent in their living room for the kids to lie in while watching Conference on the t.v..  We LOVED this idea and the positive associations it brings with the all anticipated conference.  I have to say, i'm not sure what my kids all got out of it, as i haven't asked them really yet (although i think it was more than they ever have got out of it before), but for whatever reason, i was able to focus better on the talks given and their messages.  I had a blast and we will definitely be doing this "Conference Party" every 6 months for sure!  :-)

I took notes and received personal revelation that will help me be a better person and give me strength to do the Lord's will.  I am so grateful for those inspired men and women whom the Lord has chosen to speak.  I really feel like a lot of the talks are just for me, even though i know there are many that are befitted by them.  The Lord knows my weaknesses and struggles and i know of his love for me because of the messages that are given that help me in my life.

OK, so now i have asked my children about their conference experience.  This is what they had to say.....

IMAN:  (paraphrasing - immanuel always has a lot to say, lol) I had a good time, i thought it was fun.  I liked that we had snacks and candy and that made it fun.  I also liked that we watched it on byu tv because i liked the cools shows we could watch in between conference sessions.  As far as the prophets and stuff, i liked how one of them talked about Cain and how he murdered his brother.  It made me think about how it is important to be kind to my own brother.  The party made things more fun because we had puzzles and candy and it wasn't boring.

EDEN:  I felt the Spirit.  The candy was awesome and good.  I loved hanging out with my family.  It was sorta like Christmas, except without presents.

SARAH:  I liked that the prophet was there and that there was lots of candy.  I'm glad i could watch conference and i'm glad i could have food coloring.  (Sarah and Immanuel cannot have food coloring because it makes them moody and crazy respectively.  Immanuel also cannot have wheat because it makes him moody, and super emotional......bet you can guess what my Monday was like!  ;-))

JACK: I liked the candy!


My husband said this:  I'm really happy with this conference because i think we were able to create some fun and new traditions and it felt sacred being with family and starting a new tradition.  That with the really nice weather made for a great weekend.  I loved that i got to stay home the whole weekend and play and reflect on spiritual messages and eat snacks.  It could not have been a better weekend.













FOOD COLORING for all!  lol.





Noah's Ark 1000 piece puzzle completed mostly by Eden with some help from John and Sarah.







....reveling in Bottle Caps!








No comments: