Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Growing is Glorious!

I LOVE to garden! There is something about watching plants grow that is pure joy for me. I love planting seeds and waiting in anticipation for them to burst through the soil and start flourishing into beautiful flowers or vegetables or whatever it may be. I think it is a part of me, of who I am, of my character even. Nothing is more rewarding I think, in my opinion, than creating, it's what we're born to do.


These are snapdragons...



Petunia's of course...I always have to have some of these....
so easy to grow, grow quickly, and looks magnificent!



Er, this hopefully will be a Bonsai Tree one day...hasn't even sprouted yet....we'll see...



All from seed....Marigolds, another favorite because it makes me think of my childhood and especially my dear mother who taught me to love gardening in the first place.




BASIL! My garden is not complete without this, I have grown basil every year since first having my own garden when we bought our house in Pennsylvania in 2005. It's one of those, once you have it fresh you can't even go back, kind of herbs. This year will be different of course as most of our stuff has to be in pots because we are renters again, but it will suffice for now.



Hmm...survival of the fittest? They were all seeded at the same time.



Okay, so i definitely did not plant this baby, but it looks like someone is enjoying it anyway!


Makes me think of Alice in Wonderland...
These were a mother's day gift from my dear friend Sara Schutz! So pretty!



Most of my tomatoes are in pots this year. I have three that I put in the ground behind this one in the picture, but five others will be in pots. I am excited that weeding will be easier at least. I plan on canning most of them as spaghetti sauce as we're not huge
raw tomato eaters in this family.


So it's a small garden this year, but at least i get to do something. Each day i go outside and take a look...i notice how they grow and there's just something about it that is really thrilling. Perhaps it's self sufficiency, perhaps the beauty, but i really believe it has a lot to do with helping something live and grow. Simply satisfying!

No comments: