Thursday, November 4, 2010

Joy to my Heart....

I hated reading as a kid.  I'm not sure why although i'm sure school had something to do with it, but it wasn't until i was married that i started reading all the time for fun.  

My mother was the inspiration for me.  When i was about 15 or 16 she was reading a thriller that she told me a little about and said she didn't want to read any more as it was too disturbing....so i picked it up and although it was disturbing, it was captivating and i started to think, well this isn't boring like everything we're "made" to read in school.  It planted a seed and i did begin to read books from time to time after that. 


I truly became hooked when i borrowed my friends copy of The Work and the Glory while i was in college and finished all 9 volumes right as i was ready to give birth to Immanuel.  Historical Fictions are my favorite.


Anyway, as many of you know i home-school the kids.  From time to time i doubt my abilities to teach them the right things, but am always then reassured by friends and the Lord.  When it comes to reading i worry the most.  Immanuel has dyslexia and has quite a hard time, although he is definitely making progression.  Eden does quite well, but i still worry that they should be further along for their age then they are.  


The other day my fears were put to rest.


I walked out into the living room and saw this:




My heart was filled with joy.  This is the first time since i taught my kids to read that i have witnessed reading "real" books (ya know the ones without pictures even) for FUN!  That's right Eden was reading for pleasure.  I couldn't believe my eyes!  I even asked her what the story was about to check for sure that she was reading it and not just pretending.  


The kids see me read all the time and on this particular day i had been reading all day as i was sick with a cold in bed.  After i praised Eden to the ends of the earth, Immanuel took out a book and began to do the same.  I know it's harder for him, but the fact that he's trying and recognizes that it's a good thing brings me hope. It does eventually pay off.  I am glad that book reading is a joyful thing in my home.  :-)  

I'm not sure if i didn't like reading so much now that the bug would have been caught....thank you Mother.....even all these years after i have grown-up, your influence and inspiration are felt and appreciated.

No comments: